-
My Blog

Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are much more toxic than mold, pollen, and dead skin cells.

If your HVAC technicians aren’t recommending that you add at least one standard ultraviolet (UV) light "system sanitizer" for your system, they’re doing you a disservice!

Here are some things you may not know about our standard ultraviolet (UV) light "system sanitizer"

1. You no longer really have to pull and clean indoor coils any more. Shine a UV light on a dirty evaporator coil 24 hours a day, and by the time the system is due for its next tune-up, the coil will be cleaner than it would have been if it had been cleaned it by hand. Try it. Take a dirty coil you’ve replaced and shine a UV light on it. It will take a month or two to get the job done, but the UV light will clean it.

2. You don’t need to have a mold problem or allergies to need a UV light shining on the coil. Nearly every indoor coil has debris on it. That debris is almost certainly composed primarily of dead skin cells: we shed up to 30,000 of them per hour. Those dead skin cells are also on the blower wheel. That’s why indoor coils and blowers stink.  Go out and pick up a handful of dirt and sniff it. Dirt doesn’t stink. Neither does pollen. Most molds have a sweet smell. Dead skin cells stink. If your HVAC equipment is 8 years old, and you've only lived in the house for two years, you have six years worth of the previous residents’ dead skin cells on your equipment!

3. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are much more toxic than mold, pollen, and dead skin cells. Television commercials quote the EPA as saying that indoor air pollution is up to five times worse inside your home than it is outside. 

Common VOCs are most cleaning supplies, wax, hairspray, deodorant, air fresheners, the formaldehyde in the carpet, the glues holding everything in the house together, pesticides, carbonless paper, dry cleaned clothing, moth repellents, and drier sheets.The most effective way to reduce VOCs is with our standard UV Light. 

If you have plug-in air fresheners, you're a prime candidate for a standard UV light. Have you ever considered opening up that air freshener and drinking the liquid inside of it?  Think we're crazy? Well, if you can smell it, you’re ingesting it. It’s in your blood stream. Inhaling the VOCs emanating from any air freshener is the same thing as eating or drinking it. Trying to hide an odor? The most effective way to reduce odors is to eliminate them with a standard UV Light. By the way, the odor is probably all the dead skin cells in your heating & cooling equipment and ductwork.

And now you know.  You're welcome!  @fillmorehvac